Update on our Current Apprentice Matt Foster in October 2016
Apprentice Potter - Next place available in October 2017
Supported by Seasalt Cornwall
Term of contract: Initial 24 month contract
Job Description: The Apprentice Potter is a full-time trainee position in the Leach Pottery studio aimed at a beginner or entry-level candidate with a genuine interest in a future career in production pottery. Initially the contract will be for 24 months (subject to successful completion of a 3 month probationary period) but with the possibility to extend the employment at the end of the contract, working towards becoming a full member of the production team.
Assisting the Senior Production Potter and team with pottery production including:
- Clay preparation
- Monitoring stock of clays and materials
- Monitoring and mixing slips and glazes as necessary
- Managing storage of dry and biscuit ware and maintaining the flow of work through the studio
- Preparing slip and glaze tests
- Assisting with tableware production, slipping, cleaning and finishing work
- Helping to pack biscuit kilns
- Helping to maintain, pack and fire reduction kilns
- Helping to clean and sort fired work
- Monitoring and managing stock of finished work
- Assisting with packing and shipping to fulfil orders
- Take part in training appropriate to the post as required
- Assisting with the education programme as required
- You may be asked to give assistance in other areas around the site, including the shop, exhibitions and museum.
In work training will be provided in pottery production, along with Health and Safety training and other instruction appropriate to the post.
This opportunity is aimed at a new or beginner potter. Preference will be given to candidates from within Cornwall.
How to Apply
We will have an open call in March 2017, interview in July 2017 and the position will begin in October 2017. We will publish details of the application process in March 2017.
To apply for this position in 2017 you will need:
- An expression of interest in the role, outlining your suitability based on the job description and person specification. This can be written (no more than four sides of A4), recorded or filmed (no more than five minutes).
- Your current CV
- A completed Application Form
- A completed Equal Opportunities form
This post is sponsored by Seasalt Cornwall Ltd.