Leach Pottery 10 Year Anniversary Celebrations
The Leach Pottery is celebrating its ‘10 Year Anniversary’ this year; in March 2008 the fully restored and rejuvenated Leach Pottery reopened to the public after closing its doors in 2005.
To mark this milestone in our story, and to thank all the people involved - especially visitors and supporters from the local community to the far reaches of the globe, we're organising a series of events, exhibitions, talks and creative sessions, starting in March and continuing into November 2018. We will be updating this page regularly throughout February.
Still to come...
- Exhibition: ‘Roelof Uys: Works Of Function, Works Of Art’ (7 July - 7 October 2018)
- Exhibition: ‘Leach Pottery Studio: 10 Years On’ (7 July - 9 September 2018)
- 'Summer Seconds Sale' (25 - 27 August 2018)
- St Ives September Festival: Leach Pottery Talks at the St Ives Arts Club & Porthmeor Studios (TBC)
- Exhibition of drawings and sketches of the Leach Pottery by artist Hilary Gibson at Porthmeor Studios, St Ives (TBC).
- Exhibition: ‘Matthew Foster: Second Apprentice’ (13 October - 2 December 2018)
- Feast & Flames: an evening event to round-off the 10 Year Anniversary celebrations, including food, drink, a live firing and a poetry recital from our first Poet-In-Residence Katrina Naomi.
23 - 25 March
The Leach Pottery begins its ‘10 Year Anniversary’ with an Open Day that continues throughout the weekend: the Museum will be free to visit from 1pm onwards on Friday. As part of the opening, you’ll be able to see two new exhibitions, enjoy a new hands-on clay activity in the Museum, and have a chat and nibbles with staff and volunteers around the site.
What’s happening, Friday 23 March:
- the Museum will be free to visit from 1pm onwards; enjoy a chat and nibbles with staff and volunteers around the site
- free family-focused Janet Leach inspired workshop in the Museum from 1-4pm
- two new exhibitions to see prior to their official opening in the evening: ‘Reunion: Potters From The Time Of Bernard Leach’ in the Entrance Gallery and ‘10 Year Anniversary’ in the Cube Gallery
- register for our new free ‘Leach Pottery Locals’ Pass’ if you live in the TR26 and TR27 postcodes, providing entry to the Leach Pottery for a year. All those registering for a ‘Locals’ Pass’, on this day, will be entered into a raffle to win one of 10 Leach Standard Ware Mugs
- from 6pm onwards, a preview evening to present the opening of a two new exhibitions: the selling exhibition ‘Reunion: Potters From The Time Of Bernard Leach’ (24 March - 1 July 2018), showcasing pots from working potters who apprenticed, trained, and worked, during the time of Bernard Leach and on the same evening, the opening of a new Cube Gallery exhibition ‘Celebrating 10 Years’ (24 March 2018 - March 2019), telling the story of the Leach Pottery’s renovation and renewal.
What’s happening, Saturday 24 March:
- Free family Hey Clay activities in the Clore Studio, as part of the Crafts Council’s national event
- Free entry to the Leach Pottery Museum.
What’s happening, Sunday 25 March:
30 March –
The Leach Pottery continues celebrating its ‘10 Year Anniversary’ with a series of talks on Good Friday, a second Open Weekend at the Leach Pottery which includes a ‘Spring Seconds Sale’.
What’s happening, Friday 30 March:
'10 Year Celebration Talks'
Porthmeor Studios, St Ives (book on Eventbrite below):
Talk 1: Saving The Leach Pottery
With John Bedding, Tamsin Daniel, and Lady Carol Holland.
Talk 2: The Leach Pottery Fledgling Years
With Jacob Bodilly, Jack Doherty, and Michel Francois.
Talk 3: The Leach Pottery Today
With Libby Buckley, Matthew Foster, Callum Trudgeon, and Roelof Uys.
What’s happening, Saturday 31 March and Sunday 1 April: